Saturday, August 16, 2014

8/16/2014: The National City Fabric District?? + Fabric Haul

My hubs and I were trying to figure out which swap meet to go to today for lack of better things to do. We go to Koby's Swap Meet because it's close to where we live, but we when considering others, the choices were pretty much the Spring Valley Swap Meet (which boasts a beer garden and good nachos), and the National City Swap Meet (which boasts, apparently, very CHEAP FABRIC!!). According to Yelp, the National City Swap Meet is the place for Fabric in San Diego. Cheap like $2 per yard cheap.

We got to the swap meet around 10ish this morning, sweltering hot already mind you. The booths were mixed in, but there was one general aisle with fabrics. There were bolts and bolts, most $2 per yard. There were also piles of fabric remnants at most booths with fabric pieces ranging from 1/2 a yard to over 3 yards. It was amazing but I haven't been to L.A. so I haven't experienced the real deal quite yet.

Anyway, it was still awesome! Here are some pics I snapped:






There were also a few stalls selling home decor fabrics for pretty very cheap as well:


The best stand was the last one I went to. It had bolts of beautiful apparel fabrics and piles of nice fabrics as well. I ended up getting three pieces of fabric from here.


There were also stands that had piles of zippers and boxes of buttons and elastic. Next time.

So onto the lovely stash I picked up… :)

I got two from the first stand I went to. They have a similar texture to chiffon, but they are a little thicker like cotton. I have no idea what they are. Both came from remnant piles.

 

This looks black but it's navy. It is edged with the navy and white chevrons and the center is plain navy. I got over 2 1/2 yards for $2.


This repeating striped paisley fabric runs perpendicular to the selvedge edge. I got 2 yards + 16 inches also for $2.


At a different stand, I purchased 3 yards of this spotty cream sheer (chiffon?) off the bolt for $6. 


This looks a little odd in this picture… in reality its black. I love the diamond/arrow pattern. I got over 2 1/2 yards off the bolt for $5. It is probably cotton? It's so soft, I love the texture.


This coral daisy I picked up 1 yard and 30 inches for $3. It feels soft like the black fabric, again maybe a cotton remnant but not sure.


Lastly I picked up over 2 yards of this speckled sheer chiffon for $4. When I got home I noticed it has a small hole through it. Ahh well.

Overall I spent $23 and got somewhere near 14 yards of fabric. No possible way to do this at Joann's. Could have got maybe 1 1/2 of these. So excited. I wish I had know about this when I was working on my Ariel dress for comic con. Spent so much money. Boo hoo.

A girl I met today says I need a walking foot to sew the sheers with. Might have to invest.


No comments:

Post a Comment