Thursday, July 31, 2014

7/31/2014: Floral Pencil Skirt

Last weekend I purchased some new fabric at Joann's.


My husband has compared this to a table cloth, curtains, or old woman bathroom wallpaper. He is not exactly wrong, but I still love it. I got 1 2/3 yards, so I decided to make a pencil skirt (I still have a yard left over). 

I made a pattern from a skirt I already own that is a little shorter. When I pieced the skirt together, I had originally put the zipper on the side, but after 3 tries with unfavorable results, I sewed a seam up the back of the skirt and put the zipper in the back. Much better. I also chose not to do a waistband, but instead just did a simple 1/4 inch rolled waist. When I was finished, I did a 1 inch hem. My zipper and my thread were dusty rose, but it would have looked nicer to chose the background light blue color.



I wore it to work yesterday and styled it with a skinny aqua belt. It's pretty cute but it gets wrinkled very easily.

1 comment: